Monday, 30 November 2015
Tonight after work we will continue with the stripping but before that we are heading to B&Q to pick up a few bits and pieces, namely a new jigsaw as Liam's is on it's last legs and some pine cladding.
No we are not going for the sauna look, we are going for the fairly traditional clad bottom half of the wall beneath the dado rail. This will then be painted, a colour which we have yet to decide, but I am steering towards a nice pale green colour.
We picked some wall paper to match but we are a way off needing to buy that just yet. We plan to get all of the walls stripped, sanded and prepped and the cladding fixed in place and painted prior too setting about the wall papering. But hopefully in the next week or two we will be in a position to start this next phase of the attack on the hallway.
Sunday, 29 November 2015
Another day of DIY for us today. Yet more wallpaper stripping.
Yesterday we got most of the bottom part of the hallway stripped and Liam got the new lights fitted which are a great improvement on the old ones we have hated so much.
Not that putting the last one up was a safe process mind!
Saturday, 28 November 2015
Friday, 27 November 2015
They mixed up the billing and delivery addresses and sent the seals to my home address with my work address post code!
Thankfully they have finally made their way to us, so today Liam is keeping up this years spruce up momentum by fitting the new seals to the shaft ready to fit them back on the boat next weekend. It isn't a long or difficult job and one that Liam has done every year since we have owned Naughty-Cal, so he is getting pretty proficient at it by now.
For the sake of £35 worth of seals and an hour or so's work it isn't really worth not doing them annually. Dodgy seals allow oil to escape from the drive and more importantly water to enter the drive contaminating the oil which protects the mechanical components.
The seals are double back to back seals in an attempt to give the best protection possible, however they are not really much of a match for fishing line which manages to wend its way through them pretty much each year without fail and this year has been no exception.
Thursday, 26 November 2015
First up I have washed the ensign, the red flag that flies from the stern of British registered ships and boats. We fly our flag with pride and so it needs to be kept clean and tidy to do it justice. So that small job is finished. We also plan to sand and varnish the flag staff at the weekend as this is due doing as well. Can't have a clean flag flying from a tatty flag staff now can we?
I have also brought the fenders home to give them a good scrub with some magic sponge and EVM and get them looking good as new again ready to refit come spring. The fender ropes are still in excellent condition, however we have decided that it is time to get some new mooring ropes, the current ones have been on for five years now and are starting to show signs of wearing through in places. We will definitely use the same braided rope again though as it has worn and lasted far better then previous ropes we have bought.
Whilst these might only be small steps towards achieving the finished article in a few months time it is better to get them done and out of the way now, rather then stacking jobs up and rushing around in February prior to relaunching.
Wednesday, 25 November 2015
Now this might seem like a strange idea to some but it really does work. Take this leg of lamb for example.
But there was still a fair amount left. By last night however we were both feeling a little lambed out, so the remainder of the mixture has been put in the freezer to make lamb and mint pasties next week.
So one leg of lamb has so far served us with main meals for two three times, with a fourth time in the freezer and two of us with sandwiches for work for three days.
Not bad from a £10 lump of meat.
Tuesday, 24 November 2015
As we have a good few months, possibly a little longer to plough through the to do list there is no great rush, so we can set ourselves realistic deadlines and break the work up into manageable chunks.
We won't be at the marina next weekend due to other commitments at home so we will have the change to gather a few bits together for our next visit the weekend after.
So far the to do list for the first weekend in December looks like this:
- Refit shafts and new seals to drive.
- Refit cleaned up aluminium anodes to the drive.
- Fill drive with oil. (This will be drained off closer to launch time to flush out any remaining water contamination and be refilled with fresh oil again just before launching)
- Remove K&N air filter to take home for cleaning.
- Remove raw water pump.
- Remove alternator.
- Fit new Raymarine Speed/Temperature transducer.
- Clean out engine bay and bilges.
Monday, 23 November 2015
We already knew that we had picked up what we suspected was fishing line in the shaft seals and we were proven right as the pictures below confirm we had a good ball of the stuff wrapped not just around the outer seals but the inner seals as well.